Thanksgiving is the simple act of continually giving thanks. Showing gratitude helps to see things in a new light through appreciation.
Gratitude is the best attitude. – Author Unknown
Beginning today I will be creating a gratitude journal. I will be challenging myself for the entire month of November to write a daily journal entry on the things I am grateful for. Creating a gratitude journal can foster a habit that can help embrace better relationships, better health, mental clarity and tangible and intangible wealth. It is great way to keep yourself in a thankful and positive state of mind. Keeping a journal is helpful on those days when your feeling down . Reading your entries can shift your negative energy back to a positive one by putting the focus back to the things you have to be grateful for. The stresses of family, work, and daily routines can trap us in a pattern of negativity and can result in more stress and unhappiness.
Here are a 5 tips that can help you get the most of a gratitude journal:
- Set a daily time for journal writing. Writing in the beginning of the day can help start your day on a positive note. While writing at the end of the day can assist you in collecting your thoughts and ease your mind as the day comes to an end. It is totally up to you.
- Pick a few things you are grateful for each day and try not to repeat the same things. The point is to challenge yourself to find new things to be grateful for.
- It is important to write with love and joy. Such feelings can create more of an awareness of things to be grateful for that you may not have noticed before.
- Try and elaborate in detail the things you are grateful for. Explain how it makes you feel and why you are grateful for it.
- Turn negative into positive. Instead of dwelling on the things that are wrong or not working out, try to find a positive in those situations.
There is no right or wrong way to creating a journal. Keeping a gratitude journal is one of the best ways to retrain your thoughts to focus on the positive things in your life.
An attitude of gratitude brings great things. – Yogi Bhajan
So join me in the month of November and create your own gratitude journal. Grab a journal, notebook or mobile phone and challenge yourself to write something new daily that you are grateful for.